A Historic Sunday at the U.S. Open
BY MIKE D., TEAM TITLEIST MANAGER ON JUNE 18, 2018 BALLS TOUR CLUBS
Tough. Exacting. Unyielding.
These are just a few traits that this year’s U.S. Open championship and its ultimate winner share in common. And it should come as no surprise, that to be crowned the champion, a player must meet every challenge at a U.S. Open face-on and play every shot to win.
This is exactly what happened at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club this past week.
Despite a slow start to the event, the eventual winner never lost sight of his ultimate goal and made a jump from T-54 after the first round to T-4 in the second round. He continued his climb in the third round and finished the day in a tie at the top.
On Sunday, he was the lone man standing – despite an unbelievable (and record tying) round of 7-under 63 authored by Tommy Fleetwood (Pro V1x) – the first player in 29 years to win back-to-back titles at the U.S. Open.
From all of us at Titleist, congratulations to the winner on this historic title and thank you for trusting the Pro V1x golf ball in both of your major victories!
U.S. Open: Highlights and Fast Facts
• This year’s champion became the first player since 1989 and only the seventh player in the history of the championship to win back-to-back titles at the U.S. Open.
• Tommy Fleetwood posted the round of the day on Sunday, firing a 7-under 63 to match the single round scoring record at a major championship and the course record at Shinnecock. Fleetwod finished alone in second place.
• The tour launch of the new Titleist TS2 and TS3 drivers is off to a fast start. This past week, 40% of the players in the field who put a Titleist driver in their bag made the switch to one of the new TS models (TS2: 7 | TS3: 10). Click here to sign up for alerts on the latest TS driver news and updates.
• The last five major championships have all been won by players trusting either a Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf ball (2018 U.S. Open – Winner; 2018 Masters – Winner; 2017 PGA Championship – Justin Thomas; 2017 Open Championship – Jordan Spieth; and 2017 U.S. Open – Winner).
• Seven of the 11 players who finished in the top 10 and ties at the U.S. Open trusted a Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf ball.
• Titleist was #1 in golf balls, hybrids, irons and wedges at the 118th U.S. Open. Here are the numbers inside the Counts:
•• Golf Ball – Titleist: 106 | Nearest Competitor: 19
•• Hybrids – Titleist: 24
•• Irons – Titleist: 43
•• Sand, Lob and Approach Wedges – Vokey Design: 180
• This year marked the 70th straight year for us as the #1 ball played at the U.S. Open. The record began in 1949 at Medinah Country Club at the 49th playing of the U.S. Open.